7.04.2009

The Departed, Sensationalism in the Media, and The Downside of American Culture

Recent unexpected and tragic deaths have taken some of America's biggest personalities. A brief, light hearted tribute to those recently departed:
The title of Kill Bill was taken too literally. Kung Fu was fighting a sensei in an intense personal battle, and was tragically a victim of his own Mortal Kombat adage. David Carradine was honored in the film and martial art communities. That is correct, sir. Ed McMahon unfortunately delivered an over-sized check with balloons to Death's door. Fortunately, he will be returning as side kick to Johnny again, and will have St. Peter in stitches for eternity. Then the sickle presented us with Charlie's Fallen Angel and an epic battle, in which we saw an incredibly controversial death scene of a King. The World of Pop now has an empty throne. As we sought some relief, we were pitched another loss. Billy Mays won't have to pay for his own S&H as he goes to a place so white, Oxyclean couldn't hold a candle. When we thought this collection of tragedies was at curtain, another. Football Great Steve "Air" McNair is now grounded.

So what's going on? Film, TV, Music, Sports, and even infomercials are not safe. I thought celebrity deaths came in 3's. Unfortunately, I guess there were 2 Rounds. It's weird to log on and have to read about somebody else that we've heard of, now being gone. I know that celebrities live a life of sensationalism and over-saturation from the media, and we essentially live with them. It just comes as a shock to die by them as well.

I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free to use song lyrics in blogs, but I just can't stand up to some of our American Cultures and Traditions. Funerals for one, as Holden Caulfield would say, just kill me. We dress in black, grieve, cry, and eat all of our favorite, and often times catered, food. This bothers me.

I think it's the phrasing that loses its aesthetic for me.
We are grieving their death when we should be celebrating their life.
It's like when Interstate Highways had to change their wording from "Slower traffic keep right" to "Keep right except to pass". The phrasing of anything can have a psychological impact on our reactions. We go from not wanting to be the slow-ass driver to being respectful and courteous. Or in this case, crying our eyes out in ultimate sadness, to roasting them in the way only your family knows how.

I've seen movies, and have heard of others who follow the Irish Wake tradition and philosophy. I'd like to have one of these...without the keening, or wicked loud wailing that traditionally exists. But raising a glass, sharing a story and a joke, while celebrating the passed life and faith in life to come sounds like my kind of party. I just hope I'm not the guest of honor for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment